Friday, May 28, 2010

DIY Teacher Gift - Altered Mini Clipboard

I love to give teachers a little something at the end of the year to show them
how much I appreciate the way in which they educate and nurture my Wee Ones.


This year I opted to alter mini clipboards that I found at the dollar store, so they fit in well with our family goal of operating on a leaner budget this year *smiles*.


To make covering the board easier,
try to find ones where the "clip" screws on and off.
I did not, so I had to be creative
by cutting pieces of paper to fit around the clip.


This is an excellent way to use up those paper scraps and left-over embellies
I know you have laying around.
Or switch it up and use fabric instead.


The bad news is that my camera is kaput so I don't have many pics to share but
I did snap some of the finished clipboards with my beloved phone.


Have fun customizing the clipboard to the teacher's tastes or personalize it with an initial.

Soften up all that metal with dimensional chipboard accents

or handmade flower posies and tied ribbon.

Pull out your craft punches and add some dimensional paper accents like the smaller butterflies.


Your store might even have the covered clipboards, like the one on the left (below).
I just cut a rectangular-sized piece of coordinating paper,
adhered it to the board and finished up with layered flowers, a little bling, paper punched butterflies and a ribbon tied cardstock initial.
Or, try themes, like the recipe clipboard on the right.
And don't forget ribbon always makes a pretty accent.
Here are the quick and easy directions to cover your own board:
Supplies:
Full size or mini clipboard
Pencil
Scissors
Mod Podge, glue stick or other adhesive
Sponge brush for mod podge
Scrapbook Paper
Embellishments
1. Unscrew clip from the board. (If you can't find ones that unscrew then paint that part of the clipboard or cut coordinating paper to fit).
2. Trace outline of board onto paper twice (for front and back)
3. Cut paper.
4. Use your favorite adhesive, gluestick, mod podge (I used my Xyron) and adhere papers.
5. Trim any excess paper and then sand the edges. Ink the edges is so desired(Remember to replace the clip!)
6. If you'd like your clipboard to have a little sheen, add a sealant such as mod podge and let dry.
7. Grab your embellishments and make your clipboard pop!
Tell your teacher the boards can be used for displaying pictures, notes, holding coupons, or recipe cards or as a decorative piece!

1 comment:

Heather said...

so thrifty and creative and practical and CUTE!!