Thursday, March 20, 2008

An Afternoon of Salt Dough Fun

A couple of weeks ago my 5-year old daughter and I had fun in the kitchen with one of my new favorite materials, salt dough. More and more I'm finding out what a multi-talented little artist she's becoming. Art classes here we come! The turtle is her creation. All I did for her was color the dough and here you have it. She's even asking me if she can sell her work, looks like we have another Etsian on the horizon! I made some bunnies, just in time for Easter and I have big plans for the rocking horse. I was just experimenting but I think it turned out well and will match the baby shower favor tins I made a while back. I had been baking the pieces but experimented with air drying for these figurines and it's fabulous. No more worrying about how long the pieces have been in the oven and overcooking them. Instead of the triple thick glaze I've been applying to pieces, I opted for a polyurethane finish on the turtle (other pieces are not sealed). A couple more coats and it will be lovely! Sculpting with salt dough makes for a great afternoon arts and crafts project for the wee ones (not to little because they'll eat the dough!). There are too many websites to count, but here's a fun one. Check out salt dough and creative hobbies in Provence: http://pateaselenprovence.free.fr/visiteuk.html

1 comment:

XUE said...

i did this too with my kids. They are 7 & 10 now & we still do crafts together. You can see some in my blog. Happy Easter!