Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reflections of an Eclectic Crafter


I'm supposed to be cleaning my house right now for friends coming over for a cook-out tomorrow, but I just had to blog about a question that I've been grappling with for some time now...WHAT IS MY STYLE??? Why does this matter? Well, in my hours and hours of blog-hopping and virtual window shopping on Etsy, the most successful sellers are branded and seem to have a style. If you see their work, then you automatically say, hey that's Papercakes' shop, or Boodybabies, or Wylesstyle or Rockerchic or whomever the seller may be. Is the same true of my work? Does it need to be? I go back and forth on this, because some days I feel like a little vintage, some days something polka dot, strawberry and chocolate will tickle my fancy, and then some days I can go totally rustic. Deep down inside, I think I prefer all things cute and sweet. So, why don't I just focus on this? All my life I've been told, I'm so cute, which is fine when you're 8 years old, not nearly 40. Funny how my own cuteness seeps it's way into my work. I've tried to do edgy or beautiful, but it just keeps coming back to CUTE. At the craft fair I recently did, someone wanted to buy a card and asked if I had anything not so girly and cute...I thought, nope, that's what I like, so that's what I make! I think I've been stretching myself too thin trying to create a little of this and that for everybody instead of a lot of what I love for the people who will love it too! What's your STYLE?

1 comment:

Janet Barrow said...

That is SO true! I am the same way! Very eclectice. I, too, have been thinking of "defining" my style...Maybe one day I will! LOL